One-to-One Computing Initiative Technical Support Program
The IMSA student is a unique computer user. IMSA students place a high demand on their computing device, most use their computer more than a professional working adult. This demonstrates the need for a high quality, well-built laptop for an IMSA student. All students entering IMSA must have a computing device that meets specific minimum specifications, which are listed below. It will be the student’s and their families responsibility to maintain this computer. Loaner computers are available for students/families with financial difficulties, see the Scholarship Loaner Program information below.
Note: Historically IMSA has provided access to a high quality, lower cost computer package deal. Demand for this has been declining steadily over the past few years so we have discontinued this program. However our provider may still be able to offer similar savings and can be contacted at Connections (formerly PC Connection/Gov Connection) and Dell.
Class of 2023 Required Laptop Computer Specifications (PDF File) – DETAILS, Recommended Read
The Computer Science classes use all public domain software that is written for PCs, then converted to Mac OS. This puts students with Mac OS computers at a disadvantage for software reliability and functionality. For their time at IMSA, we highly recommend you buy your student a Windows laptop.
- Operating System: Windows 10 (Macintosh OS is not recommended)
- Intel i5 CPU or equivalent AMD processor
- Minimum of 8GB of main memory
- Minimum of 128GB SSD (Hard Drive) Drive
- Optical Drive (CD/DVD) – Optional
- Wired (LAN) Ethernet Connection – Optional, but recommended
- Intel Wireless Network (Intel 7260AN) or equivalent, NOTE: Intel wireless cards work the best in the IMSA buildings, other brands have had issues
- WebCam – Optional
- Multiple USB (1.1, 2.0, 3.0) Ports, used for connecting various scientific or video equipment
- Bluetooth (4.0), used for connecting various scientific equipment like robots
All families need to obtain and install a copy of Microsoft Office 2016/365 (Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Word)
- Microsoft Office for free (Microsoft’s Office in Education Program)
- Microsoft Office, Home and Student Edition, purchase links:
Recommend you order/obtain your laptop computer so that you have it before the start of the school year. Orders placed via Connections or Dell may take a couple of weeks for the product to arrive.
One of IMSA’s vendors has offered to provide IMSA families and staff computers from multiple manufactures that meet the minimum recommended specifications listed above.
- Purchasing Web Site: Connections (formerly PC Connection/Gov Connection)
- You will need to create an account on the system before ordering
- Since these are custom built laptops, the ordering system will show them as “out of stock”. They are not built until orders are placed.
- Purchasing Web Site: Dell
- Member ID: GS748151
IMSA students will need additional software installed on their computers depending on the courses they have selected. Below is a list of the software that may be required. Some of this software is free (open source) and other software is provided as a part of IMSA’s site license agreements. When the student registers their computer on our network during move-in week they will receive an e-mail with instructions on how to install this software. Some of this software is available via the Internet and can be installed beforehand.
|Audacity with LAME Module||http://www.audacityteam.org/download/||Recommended|
|Peanut||On Campus Only||Math|
|Wolfram Mathematica||On Campus Only||Math/Science|
|WAMP Server||https://sourceforge.net/projects/wampserver/||Computer Science|
Scholarship Loaner Program
If you wish to request a Scholarship Loaner Computer please contact the Information Technology Services (ITS) at email@example.com or 630.907.5198. Include in your e-mail:
- Student’s Full Name
- Class Year (2021, 2022, 2023, etc.)
- Parent/Guardian’s Full Name
The ITS will inform you of the process for requesting and receiving the scholarship award. Scholarship loaners are awarded for all three years of a student’s IMSA career.