Position Title: Custodian
Department and Division: Facilities / Operations
Immediate Supervisor: Maintenance Supervisor
Also Reports to: Facilities Engineering and Maintenance Manager
Salary Grade: NE 3
Hours/Shift/Work Schedule: This position is a full time, non-exempt position. Hours worked: 2:30pm – 11:00p Wednesday through Sunday with occasional weekend hours.
The selected candidate will be assisting the IMSA Custodial and Maintenance staff with the department operations. This position is supervised by the Maintenance Supervisor.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The selected candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Complete regular cleaning of designated areas including but not limited to vacuum, sweep, mopping, dust, and garbage/recycling collection
- Maintain cleanliness of wash rooms
- Provide miscellaneous custodial/maintenance tasks, communicate the needs of staff and follow through with work orders issued
- Facility set-ups as necessary
- Respond to daily emergency calls
- Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous custodial/light maintenance experience strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work well with a variety of individuals and diverse populations
- Ability to read and understand all safety-related information and general instructions in the use of cleaning chemicals and equipment
- Ability to be able to use a computer for email and word processing
- Ability to adapt to a work environment that requires learning and acquisition of skills to successfully fulfill the performance responsibilities and duties of custodian work
- Ability to lift and carry equipment and furnishings as related to performance responsibilities
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Safely operate standard custodial/ maintenance equipment
- Responds to concurrent, multiple, non-related issues
- Ability to bend, kneel, push/pull, reach, and climb stairs
- Regular lifting up to a maximum of 50 lbs
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- On feet and walking for up to 5 hours at a time
- Work on slippery or uneven surfaces
- May be subject to variations in temperature, and may include wind, rain, and other elements.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to grasp, hold objects and tools with full range of motion in wrist and arms.
The position of Custodian is a full-time, non-exempt, 12 month employment-at-will position. Beginning rate no less than $12.16/hr. As part of the State University Retirement System, the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits. The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is reciprocal with other Illinois public retirement systems such as the Teachers’ Retirement System of Illinois (TRS) and the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Applicants must submit a letter of interest, resume, the contact information of three professional references, and salary history to: Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, Attention: Dalia Luna, Job Code SS-CUST-WS 1500 Sullivan Road, Aurora, IL 60506 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of interest with all appropriate attachments listed above will be accepted and reviewed as received until the position is filled.
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion or national origin. This policy also includes the handicapped and all disabled Vietnam era veterans. IMSA utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.