By Adrienne Coleman, Ed.D., Multicultural Education Specialist
The Multicultural Committee was formed during the 2013-2014 Academic Year and charged with the task of updating the Diversity/Multicultural Development Plan, initiated in 2003 and last updated in 2011. The committee consisted of 23 faculty and staff from the following departments: President’s Office, Principal’s Office, Student Life, Residential Life, Science Department, Wellness Department, Foreign Languages, Human Resources, Maintenance, Information Resource Center, Development Office, Enrollment Management and Academic Opportunities, Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Professional Field Services, IT, Marketing and Communications and the Business Office. The IMSA Board of Trustees has approved the Diversity Plan,
Below are some of the modifications made:
1. The Board of Trustees was added as overseers and approvers of the Diversity Plan.
2. Changed title and focus of plan from “multicultural” to “diversity” to reflect broadened scope.
3. Has been informed utilizing the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education.
4. Is reflective of the needs and concerns of IMSA faculty, staff, students, parents and alumni as articulated in the responses from the diversity questionnaire.
5. Includes feedback from the various departments that will be responsible for the implementation of the Diversity Plan.
6. Connects to current IMSA regulations and practices, including the IMSA law (105 IL CS305/), IMSA mission/belief statements/vision, Standards of Significant Learning II.A and V.A, CADRE and IMSA’s employee performance evaluation.
7. Promotes diversity curriculum integration and diversity-focused research.
8. Specifically address issues from the following groups: underrepresented populations, women, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered,Queer/Questioning, and people with disabilities.
9. Focuses on compliance with federal, state and local policies/law as well as current trends regarding diversity.
10. Discusses facilities and technology as related to meeting diverse needs of IMSA community.
The Multicultural Committee will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of this plan. Meetings will be set-up with IMSA departments to design an evaluation plan. Also, public forums will occur during the Academic Year to discuss the plan and spark conversations on Diversity at IMSA. Here is the link to the Final Diversity Plan.