The World Languages Team at the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) is seeking a full-time Mandarin instructor. World Languages at IMSA are taught in an immersion learning environment with a departmentally developed curriculum framework. We encourage individuals who enjoy making a difference in the lives of talented high school students to apply.
Successful candidates will have a master’s or doctorate degree in Mandarin or Second Language Acquisition (with an emphasis in Mandarin) or related field and a record of demonstrated successful teaching. Preference will be given to those candidates with experience in curriculum design and knowledge of ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines. Applicants must show native or near-native fluency in Mandarin.
The internationally recognized Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) develops creative, ethical leaders in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. As a teaching and learning laboratory created by the State of Illinois, IMSA enrolls academically talented Illinois students (grades 10–12) in its advanced, residential college preparatory program. It also serves thousands of educators and students in Illinois and beyond through innovative instructional programs that foster imagination and inquiry.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
The successful candidate will be responsible for, but not limited to:
- Teaching Mandarin courses
- Guiding and tutoring students outside of class
- Participating in the department’s curriculum and assessment development work
- Close collaboration with colleagues when teaching the same course and when working on departmental priorities
- Participating in all department and faculty meetings, faculty development programs, and community development days
- Participating in non-teaching activities that support the department’s and Academy’s programs
- Participating in external professional organizations
Skills and Experience:
The required skills and experience for this position include:
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Mandarin, Second Language Acquisition (with an emphasis in Mandarin), or a related field
- Native or near-native fluency in Mandarin
- Effective communication with students, staff, and parents
- Active participation in a collaborative team environment
- Engagement in reflective professional practice
- Excellent interpersonal skills for working in a team environment with the ability to function diplomatically and communicate effectively with colleagues, administrators, students, parents, and the public
- An appreciation and understanding of working with diverse populations
Preferred skills include:
- High school equivalent teaching experience
- Experience in curriculum design
Salary and Benefits:
Salary and benefits are commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of employment. The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package including health and retirement benefits. The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is reciprocal with other Illinois public retirement systems such as the Teachers’ Retirement Systems of Illinois (TRS) and the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Applicants must submit a letter of interest, complete and current resume, a statement of teaching philosophy, salary history, and three current professional references to: Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, Attn: Steve Zant, Job Code: FA-MND-WS, 1500 Sullivan Road, Aurora, IL 60506 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted and reviewed as received until the position is filled. We are seeking a diverse applicant pool.
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, sex, age, religion or national origin. This policy also includes the handicapped and all disabled Vietnam era veterans. IMSA utilizes only job-related criteria in making decisions concerning applicants and employees.