The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy has moved beyond the walls of its internationally recognized Aurora, IL, campus to expand science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs and services across Illinois. IMSA’s Belleville field office offers STEM enrichment programs for area students, and professional development programs for educators.
Can You Dig IT?
Dinosaurs may be extinct, but that doesn’t mean they didn’t leave behind clues for us to discover… In this FunShop, students will put their paleontology skills to the test by trying to unearth all the fossils hidden in the IMSA dig sites. Will the fossils we uncover be enough to reconstruct an entire dinosaur skeleton? Come join us to find out!
Come join us for an exciting adventure that will take us back in time! We will become archaeologists and uncover secrets from ancient cultures. Once found we will piece together the clues, and discover exactly what was left behind for us to find. Come help us unveil which ancient society left behind the artifacts, and why!
*Applying for a scholarship does not guarantee an award or registration into the Funshop.
To qualify and apply for a scholarship, the student is required to submit proof of eligibility: proof of participation in a free or reduced lunch program, OR proof of parent’s income.
- We offer a very limited number of scholarships for each grade grouping, and try to favor first-time applicants.
WATCH YOUR EMAIL and CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER! Award recipients will be notified via email and must reply to scholarship offer.
Friday, March 29th, 2019
Location: Belle Valley School,
2465 Amann Drive Belleville, IL 62220
Registration Closes: March 22, 2019
Scholarship Application Closes: March 1, 2019
Friday, April 5, 2019
Location: Liberty Middle School,
1 District Drive Edwardsville, IL 62025
Registration Closes: March 29, 2019
Scholarship Application Closes: March 4, 2019
2019 Summer Programs will be held on the following weeks for students rising into grades 3-8
- June 10-14
- June 24-28
- July 15-19
Each week, students will explore the following topics:
- Makey-Takey (students rising into grades 3-4): Calling all mini-Makers! Have you ever wanted to develop and assemble your own toy? Light up your creations? Build a waterslide? Students will hone their inquiring, designing, creating, and building skills on multiple engaging projects.
- Space & Weather (students rising into grades 5-6): Students will have to “think like an astronaut (or aerospace engineer or meteorologist)” in order to take on a series of space/weather-related challenges including how to design space gear that can withstand the harsh environs of outer space, capture lightning in a bottle, and use chemical reactions to launch rockets
- Oceanography (students rising into grades 7-8): Students will model fascinating ocean-phenomena like bioluminescence underwater icicles! They will also perform dissections of marine creatures (including a squid) and engineer their own submarine!
IMSA IS HIRING staff for summer programs in the MetroEast.
- Certified teachers are needed to teach each of the following programs: Grades 3-4 (Makey-Takey Lab); Grades 5-6 (Space & Weather); Grades 7-8 (Oceanography). Teacher candidates can apply here.
- A summer program assistant is needed to provide assistance for all aspects of the MetroEast Summer@IMSA programs. Summer program assistant candidates can apply here.
Contact Dawn Waller, IMSA Metro East Field Office Coordinator
Belle Valley School District 119, 2465 Amann Drive, Belleville, IL 62220