Pursuant to the fundamental philosophy of the American constitutional form of government, it is declared to be the public policy of the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® that all persons are entitled to full and complete information regarding the affairs of government and the official acts and policies of those who represent them as public officials and public employees. The access to this information is not intended to be used to violate individual privacy, nor to further a commercial enterprise, nor to disrupt the duly-undertaken work of any public body independent of the fulfillment of any of the rights of the people to access the information.
Sharing of Information
Information collected and received via any website in the domain imsa.edu is for the sole use of the Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (
IMSA) and the organizations with which it is formally affiliated. Submitted information will not be otherwise shared without consent. Affiliated organizations include, in part:
- student organizations at IMSA
- the IMSA Fund for the Advancement of Education,
- the IMSA Parents’ Association,
- the IMSA Alumni Association,
- and educational institutions with which Professional Field Services works.
Personal Information and Choice
Personal information is information about an individual that is readily identifiable to that specific individual. Personal information includes personal identifiers such as an individual’s name, address, phone number, drivers license number and social security number. A domain name or Internet Protocol address is not considered personal information. We collect no personal information about you unless you voluntarily participate in an activity that asks for information (e.g., sending an e-mail or participating in a survey). If you choose not to participate in these activities, your choice will in no way affect your ability to use any other feature of the Academy web site. If personal information is requested on the web site or volunteered by the user, State law and the federal Privacy Act of 1974 may protect it. However, this information is a public record once you provide it, and may be subject to public inspection and copying if not protected by federal or state law.
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy®, like most institutions, records information about each access to its website, such as when it was accessed, the Internet Protocol address of what accessed it, and which pages were visited. While some of this information is, to a limited degree, personally identifiable, IMSA uses no webserver log information to identify any individual. The information is instead only used by a limited number of IMSA employees for identifying how popular various parts of IMSA’s websites are, responding to any errors that website visitors might encounter, and otherwise improving our sites’ utility.
If during your visit to the Academy’s website you participate in a survey or send an e-mail, the following additional information will be collected:
- E-mail correspondence: The e-mail address and contents of the e-mail. We may use your e-mail to respond appropriately. This may be to respond to you, to address issues you identify, to further improve our web site, or to forward the e-mail to another agency for appropriate action.
- Surveys : Any information you volunteered in response to a survey. Survey information is used for the purpose designated. The information collected is not limited to text characters and may include audio, video, and graphic information formats that you have provided.
- allow users of intranet.imsa.edu, a website for IMSA students, faculty, staff, and alumni, to remain logged in to it for a limited period of time after initially having authenticated themselves with a username and password, and
- ensuring that certain photos on IMSA’s websites change from visit to visit.