The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy (IMSA) is seeking applications for the position of Research Analyst. The Research Analyst is responsible for conducting institutional research activities related to institutional effectiveness data and program evaluation. The successful candidate will have experience in applied quantitative and qualitative research, statistical skills, data management experience, good writing skills and ability to communicate research results to technical and non-technical staff. The Research Analyst is a member of the Research, Evaluation, and Scholarship Support Services Team and reports to the Coordinator of Research and Evaluation.
The internationally recognized Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy® (IMSA) develops creative, ethical leaders in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. As a teaching and learning laboratory created by the State of Illinois, IMSA enrolls academically talented Illinois students (grades 10-12) in its advanced, residential college preparatory program, and it serves thousands of educators and students in Illinois and beyond through innovative instructional programs that foster imagination and inquiry. IMSA also advances education through research, groundbreaking ventures and strategic partnerships. (www.imsa.edu)
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Research Analyst will:
- Prepare and analyze data regarding residential and external program demographics, population projections, and institutional needs
- Maintain and secure a departmental database server and manage relational databases for warehoused data
- Design and implement data import plans for existing data in a variety of formats (e.g., Excel, Access, OpenOffice Base, FileMaker Pro, flat files and other legacy formats)
- Oversee deployment and maintenance of hosted survey packages and other programs (e.g., phpESP, Lime Surveyor)
- Process and interpret data from a variety of sources utilizing SPSS, and communicate the results
- Prepare data for institutional effectiveness documentation as needed by the Illinois Board of Higher Education and the Office of the Comptroller
- Participate actively on committees as appropriate relating to institutional effectiveness or research/planning
- Provide information, technical assistance, and analysis to support decision making for all areas of the Academy
PHYSICAL /MENTAL DEMANDS
- Operates standard office equipment such as telephone, computer, copier, scale, and calculator on a frequent basis.
- Receives, processes, and provides visual and verbal information.
- Accomplishes tasks on time
- Responds to concurrent, multiple, non-related issues
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
The required skills and experience for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, psychology or related quantitative social science field
- Demonstrable experience with qualitative and quantitative research methods and analysis
- Proficiency with SPSS, and familiarity with relational databases
- Ability to manipulate data in a statistical environment
- Ability to produce and communicate written and oral information in a professional manner to a wide variety of internal and external audiences
- Two to four years of experience in an analysis position or related field; preferably with experience in public or higher education
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities and meet deadlines and work independently as well as collaboratively
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of materials and information
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The position of Research Analyst is an employment-at-will position. Salary and benefits are commensurate with training and experience expected at this level of employment. As part of the State University Retirement System, the Illinois Mathematics and
Applicants should submit a letter of interest, resume and the contact information of three professional references to: Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, Attention: Steve Zant, Job Code SL-RESAN-WS 1500 West Sullivan Road, Aurora, IL 60506, 630 907-5909 (phone), 630 907-5918 (fax), firstname.lastname@example.org . Letters of interest with all appropriate attachments listed above will be accepted and reviewed as received until the position is filled.
The Illinois Mathematics and