IMSA Service Learning Goals
- Student will self select service learning opportunities that reflect personalization in their learning.
- Student will develop skill sets through engagement in service learning.
- Student will demonstrate an increased engagement in service activities.
- Student will perceive the connection between civic mindedness and their actions and decisions.
- Student will gain awareness of how their actions impact a larger societal context.
The Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) 2012
- Allow all participants to define their needs and interests.
- Engage students in responsible and purposeful actions to meet community-defined needs.
- Enable students to understand needs in the context of community assets.
- Articulate clear service and learning goals for everyone involved, including students, faculty and staff members. Ensure intellectual rigor.
- Engage students in reflection designed to enable them to deepen their understanding of themselves and the community.
- Educate students to differentiate between perpetuating dependence and building capacity within the community.
- Establish mechanisms to assess service and learning outcomes for students and communities.