The Grainger Center for Imagination and Inquiry (GCII) at IMSA was made possible through the generous donation of the Grainger Foundation of Lake Forest, IL., established in 1952 by William Wallace Grainger – founder of W.W. Grainger, Inc.
The purpose for the Grainger Center for Imagination and Inquiry is to expand IMSA's physical space for "electronic and scientific tinkering" through the Student Inquiry and Research Program.
Using the Grainger Center
The Grainger Center, Room B131, is generously equipped for modern scientific investigations. The space is flexible to meet the essential requirements for biological, chemical, electrical, mechanical and information access.
Requests for Grainger Center use by other projects (e.g. extended in-class inquiry) will be at the discretion of Grainger staff, and are dependent on proposed use, available space, and adequate progress. We do try to honor all requests for Grainger Center use.
General Equipment and Facilities
- Conference table and chairs
- Digital cameras
- Lockable laboratory cubicles
- Lockable storage cabinets
- Printers: color; black-and-white
- Sink and drainage area
- Student work tables and chairs
General laboratory equipment
- pH meter
- Stir plates
- Analytical balances
- Horizontal and vertical gel boxes
- Gel documentation system
- Electroblotting apparatus
- ELISA plate reader
- Dissecting microscopes
- Fluorescent microscopes
- Inverted microscope
- Light microscopes
Temperature Control Environments
- Freezers (-20° C & -80° C)
- Thermo scientific locator 4 plus (R2D2)
- Heating blocks
- Heat plates
- Shaking incubators
- Water baths
- Thermal cyclers
Tissue culture facility
- Biological hood for sterile work
- Carbon Dioxide incubators
Safety Equipment and Information
- Chemical fume hoods
- Fire Safety: fire blanket and fire extinguishers
- First Aid kit
- Hazardous chemical storage (locked)
- Materials Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) online
- Protective Coverings: disposable gloves, full face protectors, goggles
- Rinse Stations: eye wash station and full body dousing station
Grainger Center Hours and Director
For questions and further information, please contact the SIR office.
The Grainger Center is typically open during the following hours:
- Monday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Any I-day: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thursday: 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Saturday: 10am – 5pm
Other hours are available by appointment. Please ensure that the SIR Director is aware of your usage plans, as occasionally the lab may need to be closed during regular hours.