IMSA Fusion is a teacher professional development and student STEM enrichment program for Illinois students who are talented, interested and motivated in mathematics and science. IMSA Fusion places a special emphasis on students who are historically underrepresented in those areas. Fusion works with teachers and students in grades 4-8.
In brief, the program goals are:
- Maintain or increase students interest, involvement and literacy in science and mathematics
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of teachers in science, mathematics, and technology; stimulate excellence in schools
- Stimulate excellence in schools’ science and mathematics programs
- Help increase access to programming for students who are historically under-resourced in science, mathematics and technology and for all areas of the state
By design, the IMSA Fusion curriculum is inquiry based, problem centered and integrative. The learning experiences focus on helping students “learn how to learn” and emphasize logic, mathematical thinking and experimental scientific thinking. Topics relate to the students’ lives, thereby arousing their curiosity and increasing their motivation to learn in mathematics and science. Teachers from each participating school are supported with on-going professional development for the delivery of the curriculum and use of appropriate pedagogy. Teachers select two STEM modules from a menu of twelve to learn and deliver each year. Partner schools are provided with curriculum, classroom kits, and ongoing teacher development and support for the annual delivery of two units of hands-on, minds-on STEM.
2019-20 Fusion Professional Development
Registration for 2019-20 Fusion Professional Development is now open. We are offering training for all 16 Fusion curricula at IMSA, in Springfield, Illinois and in Mt. Vernon, Illinois. Follow the links to choose your curricula, training dates, and order your supplies.
Follow the Links to Get Started:
Step 1: Review the curriculum choices for your grade band. Check out the new 4th-5th grade Music: Organized sound and 6th-8th grade Chaos: From Butterflies to Weather. Choose your curriculum topic(s)
Step 2: Register for the Professional Development session, be sure you can attend on the provided dates.
Step 3: Order your IMSA Fusion kits for your classroom (this link will take you to the Flinn Scientific website).
- IMSA Fusion 4th/5th grade curriculum offerings
- IMSA Fusion 6th-8th grade curriculum offerings
- 2019 Fusion PD registration
- Order Fusion kits here