Priority Applications for IMSA’s Class of 2023 are due February 1, 2020. Late applications will be accepted until March 1st, 2020. For the Application year of 2019-2020, the Application fee has been waived for all applicants.
Applying to IMSA
The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy offers a uniquely challenging and advanced education of secondary and post-secondary work for students talented in mathematics and science who reside in the State of Illinois. Admission practices of the Academy promote a diverse student population in order to enhance the learning of all
Students admitted to IMSA must show a history of academic achievement, involvement in leadership and extracurricular activities, and a demonstrated interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). Please see the Admissions Eligibility page for more information on who is eligible for application.
Students enrolled in homeschool programs will need to provide documentation explaining the curriculum, evaluation process, and texts used. Evaluations must be completed by non-family members who know the student’s work well. You can find more information about our homeschool student expectations in our official Admissions Policy here.
How to Apply
All applicants must meet eligibility requirements and submit a completed online application to be considered in our review process. Only students in the 8th or 9th grade are eligible to apply to IMSA and would start in their 10th grade year. Our Application consists of the following elements:
The following items are required and must be submitted to be eligible for consideration:
- Online Application w/ Essays
- Math Teacher Evaluation Form
- Science Teacher Evaluation Form
- English Teacher Evaluation Form
- Optional Evaluation Form
- School Counselor Form
- Last 2.5 years of Official Grade Reports
- Official SAT Test Scores
The online application portal start at a log-in page. You will need to register to make sure your application is started as a user, not a guest, so that you can log back in as you work on your application. Please use your full name so that your teachers, academic counselors, or evaluators can accurately find and submit your records. Enter your email address into the username field so that you will be able to log back in to work on your application, resend evaluation requests, or see the application decision.
¡NUEVO! La Oficina de Admisiones presenta la guía de solicitud de la Academia 2019-2020 en español. Familias pueden usar este documento descargable para seguir junto con la solicitud en línea de su estudiante. No será aceptado este documento como aplicación a la Academia. Los futuros estudiantes deben presentar la solicitud en línea.
Forms, Transcripts and Essays
There are 11 sections of our online application that will need to be completed by the Priority Submission date of February 1st or by March 1st for Late Submission:
- Name and Address
- Eligibility Requirements
- Biographical Information
- Current School Information
- Parent or Guardian Information
- Activities and Awards
- Optional Statement
- Parent Statement
- Student Essays (4): Please respond to each essay question on a separate document, which you will upload below. Your attachment must be in .DOCX, .DOC or .PDF format. Essays should be 300-500 words in length.
- Evaluations and Forms- We prefer that evaluations are completed by the current year teachers. It is best to enter this information in after first semester, when grades will be available. Transcripts are provided to us by the “Counselor” section and should be sent to academic counselors, or the school representative who would have access to the students’ transcripts as they will send them directly to us from that form request.
The SAT test is required of all applicants (Math and Evidenced-Based Reading & Writing sections). The Essay is not required for admission to IMSA. The SAT test is administered nationally by the College Board. To register, visit their website. When registering, please use IMSA’s SAT school code #3027 to ensure that we receive a copy of your test results.